Wondering what we've been up to in the Gan? You've come to the right place.

Friday, April 10, 2015

Leaving Egypt (and winter) behind

I hope everyone had a meaningful Passover holiday. Did your child recite the four questions? I'd love to hear how it went. They all worked very hard preparing, as I'm sure you saw in the video I sent before vacation.

During the last two weeks before vacation, we spent a lot of time learning about the story of Passover, and the seder meal. We learned about each step of the seder in rich, sensory, hands-on ways - harvesting horseradish from the farm, grinding wheat, baking matzah, chopping apples for charoset, to name a few. We photographed children demonstrating the steps, and these photos made up the content of the haggadah that came home just before vacation. I hope you get many years of pleasure from these haggadot - we still take Zoe's out every seder.

After finishing our unit on writing How-To Books, we took a break from writing workshop to explore wood and begin the process of creating our own wood sculptures. Children have worked enthusiastically and thoughtfully on their sculptures each day, and I expect they will finish them by early next week. At that point, we'll set to work creating a "pop-up gallery" in the library - expect an invitation to the grand opening later next week.






In handwriting, children completed the uppercase alphabet in Handwriting Without Tears and we'll begin lowercase letters immediately after vacation. We'll be continuing our study of shapes, and complementing our math unit with a Hebrew unit, as we focus on learning the names of shapes, and describing their characteristics, in Hebrew.

Finally, we'll begin our study of Opera. We'll read several versions of the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel, and have an introduction to this famous opera. This will serve as a springboard for writing our own story over the next few weeks, and beginning to write the music.

Let's hope for spring weather - finally - and with that, please make sure your child has footwear suitable for MUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment